Milk and Dark Chocolate Pecan Wurtles
What’s a Wurtle? Wurtles are Winans’ version of the whimsically named chocolate turtle.
Chocolate turtles were created by Johnson’s Candy Company in 1918 when a salesman pointed out a candy to one of the candy dippers, who said that it looked like a turtle. Johnson’s Candy Company began selling these chocolate covered pecan and caramel treats as “turtles” shortly after. Today many candy companies offer their own version of the chocolate turtle, some are even made in turtle shaped chocolate molds!
At Winans we make our wurtles the old fashioned way, by hand, with soft and chewy caramel, delicious roasted nuts and smooth milk or dark chocolate. The caramel is cooked in our original copper kettles, then poured into a depositor which drops evenly spaced dollops of caramel onto wooden trays of roasted nuts. The caramel is allowed to settle before the final step: the chocolate enrober! Each morsel of caramel and nuts is sent down the enrober to be fully enveloped in Winans rich milk or dark chocolate. The result? A delicious combination of our buttery, chewy caramel nut patty covered in chocolate: a wurtle.
Milk and Dark Chocolate Cashew Wurtles
Chocolate covered pecans have been a popular chocolate convection since the early 1900s, which might explain why our milk chocolate pecan wurtles are our most popular wurtle! In addition to pecan, Winans wurtles are also made with almonds and cashews.
To discover your favorite wurtle, we recommend trying one of each of our six wurtles, just to be sure!:
Milk Chocolate Pecan
Dark Chocolate Pecan
Milk Chocolate Cashew
Dark Chocolate Cashew
Milk Chocolate Almond
Dark Chocolate Almond
Winans loves wurtles so much we even offer an espresso, frappuccino and hot chocolate version! The next time you’re at one of our locations, ask for a wurtle, to drink! Made with chocolate, caramel and praline pecan syrups, this sweet drink can be made as a latte with espresso, a cold blended drink with toddy or as a hot chocolate drink with steamed milk. Topped with whipped cream and a chocolate caramel drizzle – this decadent treat perfectly compliments its namesake!
New this year, Winans is roasting Wurtle flavored coffee beans! These beans, flavored with chocolate, caramel and pecan are an easy way to enjoy a wurtle every day in your morning cup of joe!
Come and see us soon: it’s all about the Wurtle at Winans!
Milk and Dark Chocolate Almond Wurtles
Dark chocolate, like Winans Mesocacao chocolate, is a healthy indulgence you can include in your New Year’s Resolutions to be healthier in 2016.
Mesocacao is a single origin (bean to bar) chocolate line that Winans uses to make delicious chocolate bars. Our very own Joe Reiser has visited the cacao farms in Honduras and Nicaragua to help with the process of transforming raw cacao into chocolate.
Cacao has many health benefits and the best way to get a high dose of cacao is to try our Mesocacao chocolates. These lovely chocolate bars, molded with an intricate, geometric cocoa pod design, have the highest cacao content of all the chocolate Winans offers. Mesocacao bars are a great way to experience chocolate in its purest form. Joe Reiser, Winans owner, has a personal relationship with the cacao farmers and helped produce the first batch of this unique chocolate in Honduras. Nothing extra like preservatives, lecithin or additional sweeteners are added to the chocolate before they reach your palette.
The taste of the Mesocacao chocolate is fantastic with a wonderful texture and consistency. The Honduran chocolate is fruity with notes of dates and cranberries while the Nicaraguan chocolate has more of a nutty taste, reminiscent of a French roast.
In case you need more encouragement, these are just some of the benefits of cacao:
- Improves weight loss: cacao can help stabilize your blood sugar, increase metabolism, control your appetite and reduce cravings.
- Improves mood: cacao increase the amount of time anandamide, nicknamed “the bliss molecule” stays in the body. Dark chocolate also decreases the production of stress hormones in the body.
- Contains antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Cacao is rich in zinc and copper, both key minerals for our immune system, as well as including flavonoids, which help prevent LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol) from building up in the arteries.
- Improves cardiac response: cacao has theobromine and theophylline which increase the efficiency of heart muscle, can reduce blood pressure, and has both anti-inflammatory and anti-asthmatic compounds.
- Improves brain function: cacao contains the antioxidants known as flavonols, which increase blood flow to the brain. Cacao also has high levels of sulfur and magnesium, which help us remain focused and alert.
Learn more about Winans Mesocacao line of chocolates by reading 5 Reasons Why You Should Get Your Hands on Our New Mesocacao Chocolate Line!
Wishing you a safe and healthy, happy new year with Winans Chocolates & Coffees!
The information presented in this blog is offered for educational and informational purposes only, and should not be construed as personal medical advice. This information is not medical advice and should not be treated as such.
Welcome back and thank goodness spring is on it’s way. I think we are all ready for some color and warmth. At Winans, we have been preparing for this time for two months now! Yep, that’s right. We got started on preparing the chocolate factory for Easter products as soon as we got all the Valentine’s chocolate made. It was refreshing to bring in light colors and the traditional chocolate bunny molds back into the stores. Anyway, we wanted to share a few things with you about Winans during this time of year that you may or may not know.
1. This is Winans’ fifth generation of celebrating Easter with the families of the mid-west. Whether Winans chocolate is a Easter tradition in your family or you’re just getting started with your traditions you will find all that you need in our stores.
2. We currently have 7 variations of bunnies, available in milk chocolate/dark chocolate/white chocolate and some even in peanut butter. If you’re an Easter veteran to Winans and do not see an Easter mold we’ve had in the past that your family cherishes, feel free to ask to put in a special order because we may have the molds tucked away at the factory somewhere!
3. One of our variations of chocolate bunnies is Big Max. He is a whopping 20# and semi-solid! He was first introduced in 2013. Big Max is named after Max Winans, the founder of Winans Chocolates and Coffees. He stands up on his own and is perfect for family get-togethers or an office event. Ask about “Big Max Gives Back” in our stores for a chance to win a raffled-off Big Max!
4. Another one of our hot items at Easter is our marshmallow. It is, of course, made from scratch and whipped to perfection. It is very light and fluffy, not sticky or too sweet. Word around the company is that only TWO people know the secret marshmallow recipe! Our longest-standing employee at the factory, Miss Clara, checks every batch to make sure its at the Winans standard! We have five variations of our marshmallow; plain, carmallow, carmallow nut, rocky road, and sea salt caramel. The plain marshmallow is also offered in smaller pieces, foil-wrapped.
5. We have an Easter & spring drink list coming out soon that reflects the delicious chocolates we offer during this time of year! All available in hot or cold…For example, we have our White Carmallow (white chocolate, caramel, and toasted marshmallow), Chocolate Chip Mocha (Chocolate and Cookie Dough), Coconut Cream latte (Coconut and vanilla) and many more options!
6. During this time of year every employee of Winans is working really hard to make sure your holiday goes smoothly and you can get a little something for everyone. If you can’t find something, ask! We’d be happy to help. If you want a special bow or gift box made up, do not hesitate to ask us. Truly! Your traditions impact our traditions here at Winans so we want to do our best to make your Easter one to live on for years!
#1 Bean to Bar
Traditionally chocolate manufacturers are unable to trace back the origin of the cacao to produce chocolate to send to companies to use for various reasons. These manufacturers are usually multinational corporations with little regard to the process of how cacao beans get to their buildings. Currently Winans buys from such a provider. However, with Mesocacao we are able to trace back the chocolate to the exact farm where it came from. The phrase “Bean to Bar” is a phrase that means the process of getting cacao beans to chocolate manufacturing locations to make dark and milk chocolate to send it out and have it used in the production of chocolate bars. With this chocolate we are not only making chocolate bars but have already experimented on our own specialty pieces such as peanut butter delights and sea salt caramels, they are available in the stores now!
#2 We Know the Farmers!
Joe Rieser, one of the co-owners of Winans has been part of the Mesocacao process. He has been to Central America, in Honduras and Nicaragua, to visit the farms and actually get in on the process of cutting, fermentation, drying and transforming cacao into chocolate. He got to know the farmers of the area and got a sense of their culture, to bring back into the chocolate and coffee business. Mesocacao is proud to call Joe Rieser one of their partners in helping Central America rebuild cacao production and boost the economy. The Mesocacao team creates direct trade relationships with small farmers ensuring they are properly compensated for planting and harvesting the highest quality product. The facility that was built to produce this chocolate only uses cacao and cane sugar, which is all from farms only a few hundred miles from the facility. Local, fresh and trustworthy, kind of like Winans!
#3 This Chocolate is Pure and You Can Taste It!
Because of the lack of pesticides, preservatives, added sweeteners and extra processing we can truly call this chocolate pure. The taste is phenomenal and it has a wonderful texture and consistency. The Honduran chocolate is full of fruit notes such as dates and cranberries which makes it delicious to pair with nuts or to just eat by itself! The Nicaraguan chocolate has a bit of a different flavor profile. The chocolate has more of a nutty taste has characteristics of a French roast. It pairs well with coffee and grains. Let’s face it; this chocolate is just flat out fantastic and the moment you taste it, we truly believe you will agree. The chocolate also tastes better when you can feel good about it! You know where it came from and how it was made with integrity and passion for the industry, which is important nowadays.
#4 Our Pricing is Competitive
Mesocacao’s streamlined production allows Winans to buy from them at such a low cost compared to other single origin chocolate producers in Europe and North America. We buy at 30% to 50% less than what others do, making it cheaper for the customers as well. The cost savings come from the absence of pesticides, preservatives, added sweeteners and extra processing, which were mentioned previously.
#5 We, As a Company, are Excited to Offer You a Product Like This
It is rare that companies can offer their customers products that they can endorse with 100% honesty and support. (It helps that it is delicious!) Each employee will read up on Mesocacao and each employee will literally know the entire process of Mesocacao chocolate. That is rare for a company to be able to say about their products. At this time it would be difficult to convert all of our chocolate products to Mesocacao simply because they do not have the capacity yet. Mesocacao is still a growing entity in the industry and so is the region that the chocolate comes from. We hope that someday this will be possible. But for now, as a Winans customer, participating in the delicious partaking of Mesocacao chocolate will aid the growth in Central America and the growth of Winans!
You can find even more information by going to www.Mesocacao.com. There you will find pictures and even more background on the production of single-origin chocolate.