Welcome back and thank goodness spring is on it’s way. I think we are all ready for some color and warmth. At Winans, we have been preparing for this time for two months now! Yep, that’s right. We got started on preparing the chocolate factory for Easter products as soon as we got all the Valentine’s chocolate made. It was refreshing to bring in light colors and the traditional chocolate bunny molds back into the stores. Anyway, we wanted to share a few things with you about Winans during this time of year that you may or may not know.
1. This is Winans’ fifth generation of celebrating Easter with the families of the mid-west. Whether Winans chocolate is a Easter tradition in your family or you’re just getting started with your traditions you will find all that you need in our stores.
2. We currently have 7 variations of bunnies, available in milk chocolate/dark chocolate/white chocolate and some even in peanut butter. If you’re an Easter veteran to Winans and do not see an Easter mold we’ve had in the past that your family cherishes, feel free to ask to put in a special order because we may have the molds tucked away at the factory somewhere!
3. One of our variations of chocolate bunnies is Big Max. He is a whopping 20# and semi-solid! He was first introduced in 2013. Big Max is named after Max Winans, the founder of Winans Chocolates and Coffees. He stands up on his own and is perfect for family get-togethers or an office event. Ask about “Big Max Gives Back” in our stores for a chance to win a raffled-off Big Max!
4. Another one of our hot items at Easter is our marshmallow. It is, of course, made from scratch and whipped to perfection. It is very light and fluffy, not sticky or too sweet. Word around the company is that only TWO people know the secret marshmallow recipe! Our longest-standing employee at the factory, Miss Clara, checks every batch to make sure its at the Winans standard! We have five variations of our marshmallow; plain, carmallow, carmallow nut, rocky road, and sea salt caramel. The plain marshmallow is also offered in smaller pieces, foil-wrapped.
5. We have an Easter & spring drink list coming out soon that reflects the delicious chocolates we offer during this time of year! All available in hot or cold…For example, we have our White Carmallow (white chocolate, caramel, and toasted marshmallow), Chocolate Chip Mocha (Chocolate and Cookie Dough), Coconut Cream latte (Coconut and vanilla) and many more options!
6. During this time of year every employee of Winans is working really hard to make sure your holiday goes smoothly and you can get a little something for everyone. If you can’t find something, ask! We’d be happy to help. If you want a special bow or gift box made up, do not hesitate to ask us. Truly! Your traditions impact our traditions here at Winans so we want to do our best to make your Easter one to live on for years!
So, Valentines Day is coming up quicker than we all expect. Trust us, we’re still confused about where Christmas went! But we know how you think…every year its the same old gig with Valentines Day. You’ll go out to dinner while the kids are at the sitter, then maybe if you’re not too tired you will go out to a movie or peruse the mall. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that! However, we know that the night before is when you decide to do that…yeah, we got you procrastinators! This year Winans Chocolates and Coffees wants to help you to celebrate love. Cherish every moment. We want to help you make your sweetie feel loved not only on Valentines Day but every day. We do that by celebrating the little moments. Celebration of the very thought of love.
After all, Winans has been helping you do that very thing, celebrate love, for five generations. We can help you show your loved one how much you appreciate them in the sweetest way possible! So the only thing we ask in return for our endeavors of helping you celebrate your loved one is to share with us how you do it! Use the hashtag, #winanscelebrateslove, and share on Facebook and Instagram. You can share photos, a simple status, or a story about how we succeeded in making you feel the love.
In return of generously sharing your stories and photos, we plan on giving away some gift cards for the cutest, most heart-felt and funniest memories, photos and stories that are shared with us! (You can “enter” multiple photos). Now what kind of pictures and stories should you share you ask? Whether it is photo of your favorite go-to drink that you love or a shared moment with your favorite person at a Winans location…maybe it is a photo of your favorite barista who delivers the products you love in the best way…We just want you to tell us how you are celebrating love any day at Winans, not just Feb. 14th.
And we can’t wait to see what you share!
Dear Winans Chocolates and Coffees Customers,
As I write this, it is 10 days before Christmas and I just want to say THANK YOU for supporting our business this holiday season. As I walk through the shipping area looking at the packages awaiting UPS pickup, I see SO MANY of the same family names on packages that I helped package as a child! Some of you, as you well know, are into the 2nd or 3rd generation of your family’s Winans Holiday traditions and it both makes me smile and makes me sentimental. I remember 20 years ago during our first couple years after purchasing the business from my dad, we were working out of our home next to the Carriage House with our college employees that were home for the holidays and having a great time prepping packages for next day shipping until 3am sometimes. That group of college students now have families of their own, many still in the community, and bring their families by during the holidays to relive those fun times. One of those college students has worked for us ever since and now practically runs the place!!!
Speaking of employees, we have the best. The special “above and beyond” actions they take everyday, to not only help Joe and I, but to delight our customers is our biggest source of pride because without their special attention to detail and their REAL caring about you and us and our business we would not be winning quality coffee awards nor have the best chocolates on the planet!!
We have made a big commitment to the Miami Valley, Miami County and especially Piqua this year in our purchase of the old Piqua Daily Call Building. We could not be more excited to have a larger, more functional AND visitor friendly facility to share with you and for you to share with friends and family when they visit. We will all celebrate it’s opening late next summer AND we so appreciate all your words of encouragement for this large undertaking. It is definitely a stretch for us but we know it will be a worthwhile stretch to make sure 5 more generations can enjoy the local traditions of Winans Chocolates and Coffees in the future.
Joe…….what can’t be said about Joe……. He is the enthusiastic engine behind our company and sprinkles that enthusiasm everywhere he goes whether he is walking through coffee fields in Guatemala, helping a new Honduran chocolate producer process his first batch ever of cacao beans into chocolate, encouraging runners in the first Winans to Winans 1/2 marathon, or teasing the crew at our chocolate factory. He literally does it all and this time of year does it from everyday from 5am to 8pm. He has taken risks in the business that caused my Dad sleepless nights (and honestly me too), but he has the golden touch and his vision for our future WILL happen and we will all say with excitement …..”Oh, so this is what he was talking about”.
We could not be more grateful for the local traditions my Grandfather started at his corner bakery on High Street and our ability to continue growing and expanding on those traditions. Our business is about quality, good feelings and memorable traditions and if we helped pass that along to your family this year then we served our higher Holiday purpose. Your positive word of mouth marketing has been the key to our growth so please let us know if there is ever anything we can do to help you fulfill your special Winans traditions for your family.
Cheers to 2015
Laurie Winans Reiser
Celebrated every October in the U.S., Sweetest Day is a holiday many believe to be made up by industries to boost sales before the upcoming holiday season. Couples from all over will be put under societies pressures to buy and out-perform others for their “sweetie”. We would like to tell you a different story…
It is a little-known fact that Sweetest Day was actually launched in Cleveland, OH. The holiday originated in 1922, in the midst of the docile times of The Great Depression. You may be surprised to find out that Sweetest Day is celebrated in very few regions of the United States, mainly the Great Lakes area. At Winans we also like to celebrate it by promoting the holiday and to encourage our customers to celebrate Sweetest Day traditionally and in the modern sense.
The origin and purpose of Sweetest Day are actually quite interesting. Herbert Birch Kingston is the man responsible for starting the holiday. Kingston was an employee of a candy company and philanthropist. It all began when he and several other candy confectioners took the effort to distribute 20,000 boxes of candy to newsboys, orphans, the elderly, shut-ins and other forgotten people of the local area. Kingston believed that people in that time needed something to make them feel a little sweeter, and who better to give to than the people who had nothing? The holiday did not become popular until these efforts were recognized elsewhere and the word spread.
Later, in the 1940’s, a similar occurrence of philanthropy occurred in New York and several charities and orphanages were donated thousands of boxes of candy. At this time the holiday was proclaimed to occur on the third Saturday of every October. Not until the 60’s did Hallmark begin making greeting cards for Sweetest Day, thus, voiding the term “Hallmark Holiday”.
Today, as previously mentioned, the holiday is celebrated in a romantic sense. It is viewed as another holiday for people to “woo” the one that they are after. However, we want to encourage you to celebrate Sweetest Day in its origin as well. We hope that this year you spread some happiness to the less fortunate or someone in your life that you know works really hard and never gets recognition for it! Friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, the janitor at your school, a teacher, or any number of other people would certainly appreciate a small token of your care and appreciation. (It would not hurt to take a box of chocolate home to your husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend either!) As a chocolate company who donates to several charities over the course of the year, we would love to see our customers pay it forward as well.
Enjoy the holiday and spread the word about what the Sweetest Day of the year really entails. We hope to see you in our stores soon to find that perfect gift for someone special. Thanks for visiting us here on the blog!
This information was found from Sweetest Day Born in Ohio from the Mount Vernon News and Sweetest Day – National Holiday Founded in Cleveland By Sandy Mitchell