National Pretzel Day is April 26th! To celebrate, Winans is offering 25% off all chocolate-covered pretzels Tuesday April 26th through Sunday May 1st!
To help you get in the spirit of National Pretzel Day, here are some fun facts about one of our favorite snacks:
- The first National Pretzel Day was declared in 1983 by Robert S. Walker. Pennsylvania’s Governor Ed Rendell re-declared the holiday in April of 2003.
- Pretzels are one of the world’s oldest snacks, dating back to 610 AD in Southern France. Monks folded thin scraps of dough into the shape of a child’s arms folded in prayer. They added salt and baked them, making the first pretzels.
- Pretzels were originally called pretiola, which is Latin for “little reward.” Next the name evolved to brachiola, which means “little arms” in Italian. When pretzels made their way to Austria and Germany they were called “bretzels.”
- The knotted shape of pretzels has represented many different things, from the Holy Trinity in the Catholic church to the bond of marriage. It’s where the phrase “tying the knot” originated!
- Hard pretzels are a more recent snack. They are thought to have been created in the late 1600s when a baker in Pennsylvania forgot a batch of pretzels in the oven. The pretzels were dark and hard, but the baker tried them anyway and loved how crunchy they were.
- Pretzels were made by hand until 1935 when an automated machine was created, allowing factory bakeries to make 245 pretzels per minute!
- Southeastern Pennsylvania is considered the birthplace of the American pretzel industry, and many pretzel bakeries are still located in the area. Pennsylvania produces 80% of the nation’s pretzels.
- The pretzels sold in the US today amounts to $550 million – that’s a lot of pretzels!
You could celebrate National Pretzel day by enjoying a soft pretzel or a crunchy, honey mustard flavored pretzel, or even one of the many different shaped hard pretzels (sticks, twisted, square or even bites) – but here at Winans we have an even better idea!
Celebrate National Pretzel day with Winans’ wetzels! Our wetzels are chocolate covered pretzels and we make them fresh just for you. Enjoy the sweet and salty combination of dark chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate on a crunchy pretzel. We make large twisted wetzels, mini twisted wetzels and wetzel sticks. We also offer a variety of milk chocolate twisted wetzels with fun confections like M&Ms or peanut butter chips!
We think Stanley Hudson, of NBC’s The Office, would be proud! He’s able to get through 364 mundane days selling paper for Dunder Mifflin just knowing that Pretzel Day is on its way.
There’s no wrong way to celebrate National Pretzel Day with Winans! We’re offering 25% off all wetzels Tuesday April 26th through Sunday May 1st!